- Sound practices and sound theories in/through urban dance music, sound, art & the wider sonic world
- Practice-based methods in sonic and sensory ethnography
- Critical perspectives on archives & practices of archiving
- Postcolonial and decolonial theories and practices with a focus on postcolonial Europe
Carla J. Maier (b. Müller-Schulzke *1976) studied Cultural Studies, Postcolonial Studies and Cultural Anthropology at Goethe University Frankfurt/Main where she also received a PhD for her thesis on South Asian Urban Dance Music in the UK. She is author of »Transcultural Sound Practices: British Asian Dance Music as Cultural Transformation« (2020). She currently holds a Marie Curie postdoc fellowship at the University of Copenhagen working on the research project »Travelling Sounds: A Sensory Ethnography of Sonic Artefacts in Postcolonial Europe« (2018-2020). She is a member of the research laboratories Critical Europeanization Studies and Migration at Humboldt University Berlin.
- Transcultural Sound Practices: British Asian Dance Music as Cultural Transformation. Bloomsbury, New York 2020.
- The Tacit Grooves of Sound Art. Aesthetic Artefacts as Analogue Archives. SoundEffects – An Interdisciplinary Journal of Sound and Sound Experience. 2017.
- The Sound of Skateboarding: Aspects of a Transcultural Anthropology of Sound. The Senses & Society, 11(1), 24-35. 2016.
- Situative Signals in Sonic Conflicts: An Anthropology of Sound Design. In: The Auditory Culture Reader, 2nd Edition, 119-133. Bloomsbury, London, New York 2016. (Together with Schulze H., Schneider M.)
- Sonic Modernities. In: Sound As Popular Culture: A Companion, 173-181. MIT Press, Massachusetts 2016.
- Sound Practices. In: Sound As Popular Culture: A Companion, 45-51. MIT Press, Massachusetts 2016.
- Sound Cultures. In: Postcolonial Studies Meets Media Studies, 179-196. Transcript, Bielefeld 2016.
- Functional Sounds in History and the Public Sphere. Proceedings of the First International ESSA Conference 2013, Part II. SoundEffects – An Interdisciplinary Journal of Sound and Sound Experience, 5(1). (Together with Schulze H.)